Chocolate cupcakes with a mint frosting remind you of an Andes chocolate mint. I bet you can’t have just one.
For the cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
For the frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter soft
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-4 drops green food coloring
- chocolate candies
- Green sprinkles
Make the cupcakes
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. Line 20 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, butter, and sugars until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternating with the milk, begin and end with the flour mixture. Beat until well blended.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into the paper-lined muffin pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few dry crumbs. Remove cupcakes immediately from pans, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, cream, and peppermint extract. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the food coloring and mix until blended. Top the cupcake with the frosting. Decorate with chocolate mint candies or sprinkles if desired.