Shepherd’s Pie is a comforting dinner that is full of flavor. Perfect for a family night meal.
If you’re looking for a meal to feed the family, look no further. This is filled with meat, veggies and topped with mashed potatoes and cheese. Your family will keep coming back for another serving!
If you like this you’ll probably also love this casserole.
- Potato Layer
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Meat Layer
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- For Potato Layer:
- Peel potatoes and chop into small pieces. Place chopped potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. (About 15 – 20 minutes)
- Drain water from pot. Mash the potatoes. Add butter, milk and garlic powder. Continue to mash until no lumps remain. Cover potatoes and set aside.
- (Or use my IP potato recipe)
- Heat oven to 375° F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- For meat layer:
- In a large 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook and crumble meat until browned. Drain grease.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over meat mixture. Stir and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, broth, Worcestershire sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in frozen peas, carrots and corn. Cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour meat mixture into prepared pan. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Top potatoes with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes until casserole is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.