Fluffy orange rolls filled with an orange filling and topped with a orange glaze.
There is just something so delicious and heart warming about a nice warm roll. I love these orange rolls and make them in a muffin tin because they are easier to eat and reheat this way. You can definitely make them in a baking dish instead and line them up like you would cinnamon rolls. I also love these because they aren’t very sweet but still so delicious.
I drizzle on the orange topping but if you want more glaze I would definitely double the glaze and you can even dip the tops of your warm roll into it. Thats what my girls like to do.
These take a little bit of time since you will be letting it rest for 10 minutes in-between each knead, but they are so worth it. The best, fluffiest rolls ever.
|Prep Time||90 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted, 1 stick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest from fresh orange
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
For the rolls
For the Glaze
- In a small bowl, add water, yeast and sugar. Let rest for 12-15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook, add eggs, butter, salt, flour and yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough with your mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Cover bowl with a towel and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough again with mixer for 3 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough one more time for three minutes. Let rest again for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls. Lightly flour your counter-top and roll each dough ball out into a 15''x8'' rectangle.
- Mix 1/2 cup softened butter with 1/2 cup sugar and the zest of 2 oranges. Spread this mixture evenly over the three rectangles of bread dough.
- Roll-up each rectangle lengthwise into a long tube ( how you would roll cinnamon rolls). Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 1 1/2'' sections.
- Put each small dough round into a greased muffin tin.
- Allow dough to rise once more, for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with glaze.
- Whisk powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm orange rolls.
You could also lay them in a greased baking dish, like cinnamon rolls. Store orange rolls in a tightly sealed container or bag at room temperature. To freeze, allow the rolls to cool completely after cooking with no glaze on them. Place muffins in a ziplock freezer bag, freeze up to 3 months. To reheat, microwave the muffins for 15-20 seconds and top with fresh glaze.