Sweet, tangy, zesty, and delicious sloppy joes.
Sloppy joes are such an easy meal to make and I love them because it’s a recipe that can easily feed a crowd. I sometimes double this and freeze the second batch for another time. If you decide to do that, just be sure to cool mixture completely before transferring to freezer safe container. You can freeze it for up to four months. Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-2 onions roughly chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped (optional)
- 2-1/2 lbs. ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2/3 cup smoky BBQ sauce (or your favorite)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- black pepper
- 8-12 rolls or buns
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper and cook, stirring, until onion starts to turn translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add beef and brown, stirring breaking up the meat, until it is crumbled, and liquid boils off. Drain the grease off the meat and onions.
- Stir in the tomato paste until the meat is coated. Add the bbq sauce, ketchup , Worcestershire, soy sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes.
I love sloppy joes and I love that your recipe has no brown sugar like most homemade recipes I’ve tried. Can’t wait to try it!