Delicious apple cinnamon crumb cake is the perfect dessert for fall or great as a breakfast cake.
The best part of a crumb cake is that crumb topping! Not only do you have it on the top, but also layered between the cake and apple layers.
When you start to make this cake you will think that you don’t have enough cake batter, the first layer you put down will be really thin and then you will add crumbs and apples and top with the remaining cake batter. Don’t worry it will be enough, this cake is really dense and it doesn’t get too much of a rise but it is jam packed with flavor and you are doing a great job even though it looks different than most cakes do.
This cake fits perfectly in an 8-inch round pan. If you have a springform pan it will be even easier for you. If you don’t, no worries, just be sure to spray your pan really well and run a knife around the edges before taking out or you can just serve it right out of your pan.
And one more thing before I give you the recipe. When making your glaze, if you don’t have apple cider you can also use some apple juice and it will be just fine. Enjoy!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 cups and 1/2flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large apples-peeled and chopped I use red or green depending on what I have on hand., or 2 small
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Cinnamon Streusel Crumb
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease 8-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper, set aside.
- To make cinnamon streusel crumb, in a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients. Add melted butter and vanilla and stir until the mixture is evenly moist, set aside.
- Make the cake in a large bowl, cream together 4 tbsp butter with 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy, then add egg and beat well. Add vanilla and sour cream and beat again.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder and add to the butter mixture, stir until just combined.
- Spread half the batter at the bottom of the pan ( it will be very thin layer). Spread the apple chunks evenly over the batter, then sprinkle about 1 cup of the cinnamon streusel crumbs over the apples. Spread the remaining batter over the crumbs and on top spread the rest of the cinnamon streusel.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Before removing the ring of springform pan run a thin knife around the cake.
- To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar with apple cider and drizzle over the cake.
Recipe from my recipe box, I think an aunty gave me the recipe.