Soft and delicious Circus Animal Sugar Cookies are so easy to make.
Sugar cookies are one of my favorite things to make. After picking peaches off of our peach tree I was going to make something with them but decided that sugar cookies sounded better. Plus, this reacipe is so easy and fun to make so my four year old helped me. I know some people don’t like having their little ones in the kitchen, it usually makes for much larger messes and takes longer but I guarantee if you let them help you will have some fun conversations and enjoy your time in the kitchen together.
This recipe calls for shortening, this ingredient makes the cookies so much softer. Yo ucan still use butter in its place but your sugar cookies will be harder. I would rather use the shortening for this recipe.
Make sure you press on the circus cookies when the sugar cookies are still warm. This will help the cookie to stick, if you wait until the sugar cookies are cool, they’ll just slide off. Let them cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. Be sure to save the recipe to your Pinterest COOKIE boards.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened, 1 stick
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup multi-colored sprinkles
- 18 frosted circus animal cookies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In bowl of stand mixer, use the paddle attachment and beat butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilly and mix until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Do not over mix the dough. Stir in sprinkles.
- Using a small cookie scoop portion out your dough and place them onto baking sheets. They will spread a little bit so be sure to leave a few inches in between each scoop. Bake until lightly golden brown, 10-12 minutes. The center of the cookie might look a little undone but that is ok. Once out of the oven, immediately place one frosted circus animal cookie on the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Allow the cookies to cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.