Chewy chocolate brownies topped with strawberries and chocolate ganache are the perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day or summer picnic.
When I was a little girl I loved making Valentine’s Day boxes for school. It was one of my favorite activities and I’m pretty sure that I had an awesome boom box, box for at least three years in a row. It was always so exciting to see everyone’s boxes and to give and receive Valentine cards.
As I got older I still liked Valentine’s Day, I guess I am just a big lover of love. I like the colors and treats and flowers. I love the idea of giving some extra love to those you love the most. I know that we should share our love everyday, but for some reason the whole novelty of it is just fun.
When Myron and I started dating we celebrated our first Valentine’s Day together. I got him a watch that he still has and he bought me a bouquet of roses and a gift card to Barns and Nobel. I thought it was so thoughtful of him because he knew how much I liked to read. I’m pretty sure we went to dinner or something that night but what I remember most is that he took the time to think of something that I would love.
I think that is the secret to making Valentine’s Day a success. Don’t worry about the money, but make it thoughtful and fun and it will turn out perfect.
Speaking of perfect, lets talk about these chocolate covered strawberry brownies.
Don’t they look so good? Give them a try, make some for your Valentine.
But be sure to PIN the recipe for later to your PINTEREST Board.
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh strawberries coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spray a 8x8-inch baking dish with with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand-mixer, add the melted butter and cocoa powder. Using the paddle attachment, blend until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt and sugar. Beat together, then add eggs and vanilla. Mix just until combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. This batter is NOT runny like a cake mix, it is THICK, so you will have to spread it out.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan.
- Once brownies are cool, arrange chopped strawberries on top. Make ganache and cover brownies in ganache. Enjoy.
- Bring heavy cream to a simmer on the stove top, stirring occasionally. Just as soon as you see a simmer, remove from heat and poor over chocolate chips,make sure all chips are covered.
- Place lid on chocolate chips to trap the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Do not mix. Remove lid and stir the chocolate chips with a whisk starting in the center and working outward until smooth. Pour over the top of strawberries and let cool before slicing. Store brownies in refrigerator.
Recipe easily doubles for a 13x9-inch baking dish.