Soft and Moist Tres Leches is so ridiculously easy to make.
Also called Three-Milk Cake and Tres Leches Cake. This dense, moist “three milks” cake is topped with a cloud of vanilla whipped cream. What makes it unusual is that after baked, it is perforated and soaked in a mixture of three different milk products: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy cream, hence the name Tres Leches.
The three milks, when combined, create just the right sweetness, density and texture for a rich cake, making it moist but not mushy. The cake is like one big giant sponge soaking up the delicious milk syrup. It is like you are eating cloud. A glorious, sweet, cloud.
Have I convinced you to make it yet?
It is so simple to make and will be a perfect dessert for Mother’s Day weekend. The kids can help make it, or it really is easy enough that your older kiddos can make it on their own.
I started with a boxed cake mix (if you’re feeling like you want to make your own homemade yellow cake for this, go right for it). Make your cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Mix together the milk mixture of your three milks and when cake is out of oven and cooled slightly, poke it with a fork. You will then add your milk mixture on top a little at a time until the cake absorbs the milk. Then you will add more until it doesn’t absorb any more milk. You may have left over milk mixture but there really is no way around that unless you make two cakes.. which actually sounds like a good idea because this is so delicious.
I like to pop my cake into the fridge for an hour or two before I frost it with the whipped cream topping so it can really soak up all of the delicious flavors that were poured onto it. Once chilled, make your whipped cream topping and frost the top of the cake. Once cut and ready to serve, place some fresh berries on top for garnish.
Enjoy and don’t forget to pin the recipe for later.
- 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 12- ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Fresh berries for topping
- Bake boxed cake mix according to instructions.
- While the cake is in the oven take a medium bowl and whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream.
- Remove cake from oven and let it cool slightly, while the cake is warm (but not hot) poke the top of it many times with a fork and then pour half of the milk mixture over the whole cake. The milk will become absorbed. Then go ahead and slowly pour more milk until the cake doesn't absorb anymore. This may be the whole mixture or a little less but make sure to wait and see if the milk gets absorbed before pouring more over the cake.
- Allow cake to cool in fridge for 1-2 hours before topping with whipped cream.
- While cake is cooling, prepare whipped cream by pouring heavy cream into a medium/large bowl. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla . Mix with an electric mixer until you start forming stiff peaks. Spread whipped cream over the top of the cake, cut yourself a piece, and enjoy!