These healthy chicken taco bowls can be made ahead of time and used as meal prep meals or as a family dinner. It’s a win either way!
Ok you guys. I LOVE Mexican food and flavors and honestly could probably eat it every day. When I make these healthy chicken taco bowls for our meal prep meals, I am feeling good about myself and loving my meal. We also make these for dinner quite often because they are so easy and my girls love them.
So, there are three things you are prepping in this recipe. You will be making the chicken of course (which can be used for tacos as well). You will also being making rice and beans as well as some sweet potatoes. YUM!
After you are done making all of these delicious things you can easily split them up into your meal prep containers, keep refrigerated until you are ready to use and then warm up and top with your favorite toppings.
Some of my favorite toppings are:
- Pico De Gallo (you can make your own or purchase in the refrigerated section at your local grocery store)
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips
If you don’t have all of the spices, feel free to use a chicken taco seasoning.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||4 hours|
- 6 large chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste + ¼ cup of water
- 1 small can green chilis
- 1/2 lime juice from ½ lime
- salt and pepper to taste generous
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups brown rice or you could use white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed
- juice from 1.5 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place 6 large chicken breasts, chopped onion and 2 tablespoons of minced garlic in a large crock pot and set to high.
- Then, season with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, green chilis, salt, and pepper.
- Mix together tomato paste and water and place on top of chicken. Mix.
- Cook on low for 3- 4 hours or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Remove chicken and shred (keep liquid in crockpot).
- Place shredded chicken back into liquid and stir together.
- First, preheat oven to 400ºF. Then, dice sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and pour on about 2-3 tablespoons of EVOO. Place sweet potato pieces on baking sheet. Then, season, and toss with your hands. Roast at 400ºF for 25-30 minutes or until desired texture.
- Place 2 cups of brown rice and 4 cups of water in a medium-size pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to low and cover. Let simmer until all of the water has absorbed. Once the rice has cooked, add in black beans, lime juice, and sea salt.
Feel free to omit the chicken spices and use an all-natural taco spice pack!
PIN FOR LATER
Things you might need for this recipe. Shop the images below.