There are so many delicious dishes to make on Thanksgiving and green bean casserole is a must have on our menu. My husband and girls love green bean casserole. As for me, I think it’s ok. It’s more of a texture thing for me, the canned beans and cream of mushroom soup are just too soggy and I can only do a bite or so. That is, until this recipe.
I love a fresh green beans so I figured, why not make a casserole without the canned stuff. I could do that. So here is an amazing homemade recipe that is fresh and creamy AND it won my hubby over and will be replacing the old version. There are a few extra steps to this than the original version with the canned goods because you are making your own mushroom sauce, but it is worth it and really doesn’t take that much longer.
The one thing that is great about this dish is that you can prepare everything the day before, place in casserole dish, cover and refrigerate it until you are ready to cook. Just add the breadcrumbs and onions right before you bake so they don’t get soggy. Recipe below!
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1.5 pounds fresh green beans rinsed and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large portobello mushrooms chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 oz french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish, set aside.
- Blanch the beans: In a large pot, bring about a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Add the green beans and boil for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately plunge the beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine. Then add the cream and simmer until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in all of the green beans. Transfer green bean mixture to prepared casserole dish. Top with the bread crumbs and then layer the french fried onions on top.
- Place casserole in the oven and bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes. If your onions start to brown too quickly, cover the casserole with foil.
- Serve immediately!